You’ve shopped, packed and checked your to-do list twice — holiday travel season is finally here! Before you hop on a plane to visit your family and friends, we have a few dos and don'ts that will have you flying like a pro.
1. Leave extra space in your luggage. We all want to pack our travel essentials and a ton of cute outfit options, but let your luggage breathe. Do you really need that full tube of toothpaste and four pairs of boots? Focus on packing travel-size necessities and versatile outfits you can mix and match. By leaving extra space in your bags, you’ll have room to pack all of your souvenirs and goodies for the flight back home!
2. Remember to hydrate. Drink lots of water before and during your flight. Even though you’re sitting for most of your travels, you can still get dehydrated. A Marie Claire article recently reported that women lose around 1.6 liters of water during a 10-hour flight. This is caused by planes’ low-humidity environment. Bring an empty, reusable water bottle through security and fill it up once you’re in the airport. Your body will definitely thank you.
3. Slip on a pair of compression socks! Don’t forget to accessorize your comfy flight outfit with a pair of cute compression socks. Studies show that sitting for 90 minutes or more can cause blood flow beneath the knees to decrease by 50 percent, which can lead to sleepy, achy and even swollen legs. Wearing compression socks during your flight will improve the circulation in your legs and feet — so they’ll feel energized right when you step off the plane!
1. Skip out on sleep. Even if you plan to sleep on your flight, you still want to be well-rested. You don’t want to tire yourself out, try to sleep on the plane, and then find yourself wide awake in your seat. You’ll get off the plane feeling extremely tired before your holiday festivities — especially if you’re flying across time zones. Sleeping a full eight hours before your flight will help you fight jet lag and keep you energized.
2. Wear your party outfit during your flight. If your holiday fun begins right after you land, this is definitely tempting. But unless your party outfit includes loose, breathable fabrics and sensible shoes, you’ll want to leave it in your luggage while you fly. You don’t want to wear high heels or restrictive clothing as you sit for four or more hours. This can inhibit blood flow and cause your legs and feet to swell, which will put a hold on your holiday fun.
3. Drink alcohol. Even though those cocktails look appetizing, it’s best to avoid alcohol before and during your flight. Alcoholic drinks cause dehydration, which is the opposite of what you want during your flight. In planes’ low-humidity, climate-controlled environment, you want to stay nice and hydrated. Consider trading that drink for ice-cold water instead!
What are some of your travel dos and don’ts? Let us know in a comment below!